Sunday, December 2, 2012

Day One... Bad Association Spoils Useful Habits

I took that quote from the BIBLE, 1 Corinthians 15:33. Though not a new concept to me in and of itself, the first time I actually took heed to it was when I was 20 years old. I was still involved in a very abusive relationship at the time and, when I looked in the mirror, I barely recognized the woman that I'd become. I knew I wanted to make changes in my life, and I felt that it started with the people I associated myself with.

As much as we'd like to deny it, we definitely feed off of the energy of the people we spend the most time with. At my lowest point, I was socializing with all of the wrong people. Instead of uplifting me with positive words as they should have, I was always being told what was wrong with me or what I should change about myself. Though I craved attention from them, I was never really happy in their company. In fact, they seemed to suck the happiness out of me. I was on top of my game career wise and the most unhappy person I knew.

I didn't have the courage to stop socializing with them because I wasn't sure if I was enough. Eventually, their constant negativity wore me out because they only focused on what they perceived to be wrong with me and I was constantly trying to change who I am. I realized that, since time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all, life is too short to spend time with people that consistently bring you down. 

It was time for me to start socializing with people who made me feel good. It was time for me to allow people that love and appreciate me to become my inner circle. And that's just what I did. I left my job making nearly six figures at 21 years old and went to school. The people that were 'my friends' at the top were no longer there, and that was OK with me because the friends I made while I was at the bottom have stuck around for years.

Sometimes, you have to prune your inner circle. Sometimes, you just have to cut back the dead buds in order to allow new friendships to bloom. Troy Fontana urges us all to "Find a group of winners; people who celebrate success and will help you to achieve the life you desire.”

Today, start to plant seeds and invest in friendships with people that embrace you at your worst and seek to make you better. Seek people out that not only love you for who you are today, but that also embrace and embody the person you want to be tomorrow. After all, we feed off the energy of the people we socialize with the most. So, make sure they are as AMAZING as you are!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment