Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Day Eighteen... Be Your Own Competition

I used to hate competing in any activity where I wasn't sure if I'd win. In high school, I did track for awhile, but I kept coming in second and third place. It drove me CRAZY! So, I quit. Yes, I know. That wasn't the right way to handle the situation, but it's how I dealt with situations before. If I couldn't measure up, I quit.

Then I woke up and had an epiphany. I asked myself, 'Why am I competing against someone else? I can never be them and they can never be me.' I literally made a conscious decision to stop comparing myself to others. I realized that, while I'm spending time watching what the next man is doing, I'm wasting valuable time that I could use to focus on my own success. For the first time in my life, I decided to go head to head with myself. And the result has been amazing.

So, today, stop worrying about what others are doing. Stop competing with people that you will never be. Focus on creating a better you. A more focused you will lead to a more successful you. Start comparing yourself and where you used to be to the current you and where you want to be. Do you see growth? Are you noticing changes? Are you growing? Wherever you are in life, seek to exceed that place in a specified time period. Write down your goals and set a time period. Then, focus your time on breaking your own schedule. Compete against yourself!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment