Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day Three... Let Go of the Victim Syndrome

It's never easy to pick yourself up after life has thrown you a curve ball. Even worse, we all know that when it rains, it pours. Sometimes, you get hit with so many things at once, it can seem like you're the target in life's game of dodgeball. It's just one thing after another.

With that said, I think it's important to remember that you are not the only person alive to experience hard times. The Bible says it best at Ecclesiastes 9:11 where it states that 'time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all.' When we are in the moment and it seems like the world and everything we adore has turned it's back on us, at times it's difficult to not look at ourselves as the victim or martyr in the situation. I know, because I've been there.

When I was at my lowest point, I felt abandoned and like everyone that owed me anything should have come to my rescue. After all, it's what I would have done and what I often did do for them. But I had to learn how to help myself. It became painstakingly obvious that I couldn't expect anyone else to save me. 

At the lowest point in my life, I learned two of the greatest lessons that I've ever learned:
  1. For one, the only person I can truly rely on at all times is GOD. He is the hearer of my prayers and the answerer to my petitions. When I turn to him, I can rest assured that my requests will be answered. It's not always when I want him to answer me that I hear his voice or see a sign, but it's always been right on time. Sometimes, he reads between the lines of my prayers and gives me what I really need, but couldn't quite comprehend at the time. And, as a result, my life is always so much better.
  2. Secondly, I am NOT a victim. I am a creator of my own destiny. I am a fearless, driven woman with unwavering faith in God. I am a loving daughter, sister, and friend. I am a conqueror of obstacles. I am a strong, black woman that's elevating my life on a daily basis and, though at times I fall, I'm too strong to lay down in defeat. I always get back up. If I don't like a situation that I'm in, I change it.
One of the greatest pieces of advice that I can give you is to look past the moment. When the going gets tough, you have to know that things will get better. Stop panicking, take a few deep breaths, and woosah yourself. Focus on the strength you're developing as you burrow through tough times, rather than the pain that you're experiencing in the moment. If you take a minute to think of all the difficult times that you've battled through, you'll realize that you came out a better, stronger, more refined you.

Although we can't always understand why we experience the things we do, it's important to think positive and remember that there are rarely victims in life. Just people who fall prey to life's ups and downs. They sneak up on us when we least expect it, but you can't allow it to hold you back. The most precious stone in the world is made under extreme pressure and unbearable heat. So, remember, when you're at your lowest and the pressure feels overwhelming, GOD is making you into one of his most precious and prized possessions- His Diamond Diva!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment